Sunday, June 27, 2010

WARNING, ALERT, DANGER

Hi all - too serious to joke about if you are using the following trail:

The trail we use in the new 8 mile CHT, it runs along the landfill electric fence (remember, the 10 million Ravens) - on the return loop you run along the electic fence and cross the old dump access road at right angles and have a short steep downhill immediately you cross that road.

If you are quadding/biking that trail - someone has dumped 2-3 truckloads of gravel off that road down the short steep downhill - it has CREATED TWO LARGE STEPS - and you can't see them as you approach.

Tonight I approached that downhill with 3 dogs attached to my quad, all looked good until the dogs looked like they fell off a cliff...because they had..and so did the quad as I pulled on the brakes, which meant I pitched onto step 2 and started rotating over the front axle. Lights and winch kissed gravel, and the quad fell back instead of flipping forward on top of me.

I have asked the City if they did it (as they have the keys to open the gate to the road, I guess that is a bit of a redundant question) and asked them to put up some sort of warning.

In the meantime, if you are quadding on that trail, approach the old dump access road with great CAUTION - goodness knows what will be there next.

Funny thing, if I hadn't been running dogs and just reconning the trail, I would have come over that first step at a lot more than 20km/hr, with no dogs to warn me...you gotta love dogs, they never looked back..."oh, a cliff, Jon being funny? what's new? let's go!"

Safe training!

No comments:

Post a Comment